- State of the art simulation lab used to teach and reinforce basic and advanced anesthesia concepts and technical skills
- Clinical Curriculum occurs within Vidant Health, a regional health system serving 29 counties in eastern North Carolina, providing healthcare for 1.4 million people.
- Primary site is Vidant Medical Center the flag-ship hospital . A state-of-the-art 800+ bed Level I Trauma Hospital.
- Students receive month-long rotations in anesthesia specialty areas including obstetrical, neuro, pediatric, and intensive cardiovascular anesthesia experiences with high-acuity patients
- Clinical rotations at busy pain clinic and surgicenter
- No travel requirements outside the area
- Affiliate Hospitals (short term elective rotations) provide excellent opportunities for learning regional anesthesia (housing provided during these elective rotations)
- 1:1 MD or CRNA to student ratio in the clinical areas
Some of Our Clinical Sites
- Vidant Medical Center
- East Carolina Heart Institute
- Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital: Ahoski
- Vidant Chowan Hospital Edenton
- Surgicenter of Eastern North Carolina - Greenville
- Pain Management Center
The majority (about 90%) of the clinical instruction takes place at Vidant Medical Center, an 800 bed level I medical center that is within walking distance of our classrooms. Here the students learn to administer general and regional anesthesia to a variety of patients for all surgical specialties including cardiac, vascular, obstetrical, pediatric, and neurosurgery cases.
In addition, senior students are scheduled for short rotations at our satellite rotations to gain more experience with anesthesia in rural settings and with regional anesthesia techniques. Housing is provided and there are no additional housing expenses during these rotations. Below is a description of some of our clinical sites.
Vidant Medical Center
Vidant Medical Center, one of four academic medical centers in North Carolina, is the flagship hospital for Vidant Health and serves as the teaching hospital for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Vidant Medical Center is a regional resource for all levels of health services and information. The hospital is a tertiary referral center and provides acute, intermediate, rehabilitation and outpatient health services to more than 1.4 million people in 29 counties. It is the only level-1 trauma center east of Raleigh In an average year, about 33,000 inpatients and more than 266,000 outpatients are treated in their facilities. More than 3,000 babies are born here in a typical year. The clinical staff includes more than 500 physicians and 1,200 nurses.. The hospital has 24 fully equipped operating rooms, a cystoscopy suite, and 4 fully equipped operative delivery rooms. Clinical education is an important part of this hospital's mission.
East Carolina Heart Institute
The East Carolina Heart Institute’s mission is to improve North Carolina's health status through cardiovascular health service delivery, research and education. The institute is the first facility in North Carolina devoted specifically and exclusively to the research, treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. It is a six-story, 375,000 square-foot, 120-bed center with 13 interventional labs and suites of dedicated operating rooms.
Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital: Ahoski
Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital is a 114-bed, not-for-profit hospital located in Ahoskie, NC. This modern facility provides a wide range of health services to about 39,000 residents in the four-county area. As part of Vidant Health, they offer a wide range of services at their facilities in Ahoskie and other Hertford County locations.
Vidant Chowan Hospital Edenton
Vidant Chowan Hospital has been growing and expanding to serve health needs for more than 60 years. Today, this modern facility, located in historic Edenton, provides services and programs to 45,000 people in four counties. We offer a wide range of services and health care specialties to residents of Chowan and surrounding counties
Surgicenter of Eastern North Carolina - Greenville
SurgiCenter of Eastern Carolina provides highly skilled outpatient surgical care in a patient- and family-centered environment. SurgiCenter has been serving the people of eastern Carolina for 30 years and is jointly owned and operated by physicians and Pitt County Memorial Hospital. The SurgiCenter is a 32,500-square foot, freestanding ambulatory care facility where physicians perform a wide range of elective outpatient surgical procedures in eight modern and well-equipped operating suites. They perform more than 12,000 procedures each year, and have the resources of one of the state’s largest health systems and academic medical centers available.
Pain Management Center
The Pain Management Center is a cooperative venture between East Carolina Anesthesia Associates and University Health Systems to provide comprehensive pain management and rehabiliation services to the citizens of eastern North Carolina. East Carolina Pain Consultants, a subdivision of East Carolina Anesthesia Associates, provides over 3500 outpatient interventional procedures a year at the clinic.